“What Makes a Liberal… Liberal?”
Or, “What is wrong with these extremist nuts?”
Whether you subscribe to Michael Savage’s view that “Liberalism is a Mental Disorder,” or the more scholarly assertions of Lyle H. Rossiter, Jr. M.D. in his book, “The Liberal Mind: The Psychological Causes of Political Madness” one thing should be painfully obvious: Liberals are different.
At first glance, a Liberal appears to be a caring, compassionate (if overly emotional) person who is genuinely worried about the potential effects of real social problems (poverty, education) and political issues (corruption, corporate welfare, endless war) that need to be addressed. Yet, this caring and compassionate Liberal seems always to advocate solutions which any real Libertarian knows will result in disaster.
A study of the history of Western Civilisation will reveal that, until just over two centuries ago, centralised government was considered bad, alien, and dangerous, characteristic of ‘Oriental despotism.’ Yet Liberals have apparently forgotten this lesson. For every social and political ‘problem,’ Liberals offer solutions that involve more, and more centralised, Government.
“What is Liberal?”
Recently, I came across a list of unique characteristics, which will enable you to positively identify a Liberal. It isn’t necessary that all of these criteria are met in order to label someone a liberal. But the more positives you encounter, the more likely that the individual in question is a Liberal.
When you’re a liberal, you believe:
- The AIDS virus is spread by lack of funding.
- Abstinence does NOT prevent pregnancy, or AIDS. You cannot expect people (especially young people) to practice abstinence. So teaching it is wrong, and dangerous.
- Government can give money to one person, without taking it rom another.
- If someone makes more than $50,000 a year, then he is probably doing something illegal, or immoral.
- “Separation of church and state” is in the Constitution.
- A father is not necessary to bring up a happy, healthy, well-rounded child… but a mother is indispensable.
- “Access to resources” is code for “free stuff for you, that the government (i.e. taxpayer) pays for.”
- You don’t know what the incorporation doctrine is. But you support it, because it and the 14th Amendment are what allows the federal government to keep the states from oppressing their citizens
- ‘State’s Rights’ is a secret code word for ‘slavery;’ which “proves” that those who support State’s Rights want to re-enslave black people.
- The preamble to the united States Constitution is not just an introduction, it is a clause which grants government the power to “promote the general welfare” by providing welfare benefits and entitlements.
- Capital punishment is a horrible evil; while Abortion-on-demand is a sacrament of women’s rights guaranteed by the united States Constitution. In other words, you support protecting the guilty, and murdering the innocent.
- Only white people, and Jews are racists.
- The same government employee of the compulsory taxpayer-funded education system who cannot teach inner-city 4th graders how to read is qualified to teach those same 4th graders about sex.
- Everyone on the Internet is a pervert, BUT the school officials who want to do vaginal exams on your daughter without your consent have your best interests at heart.
- Trial lawyers are selfless heroes looking out for those who can’t look out for themselves… it’s those greedy Doctors who are overpaid.
- “Pornography is protected by the 1st Amendment!” …But public professions of faith should be outlawed!
- You support free (taxpayer funded) housing for the poor… until they start to build it in your neighbourhood.
- Guns in the hands of Tennesseans are more of a threat to national security than nuclear weapons in the hands of the Red Chinese (or the Iranians, or the Pakistanis, or…)
- Single-payer medical insurance will dramatically reduce costs, AND increase patient care quality… but limiting malpractice lawsuit awards will not.
- Congress knows how to manage your money better than you do.
- Girrrls should be able to attend an all-boys school. But boys should not be able to attend an all-girls school.
- Global temperatures are less affected by normal, cyclical, documented changes in Sun spot activity; and more affected by families driving SUVs.
- You support alternative energy… until they start to build a wind-farm off the coast of your family home.
- Gender roles are an artificial construct. But being a sodomite is perfectly normal.
- Businesses create oppression… It’s Government that creates prosperity.
- Americans who lost their jobs, or their homes did so during the evil reign of Reagan, Bush, or Bush. This sort of problem can only be solved with deficit spending by a powerful national government.
- We must save Social Security and Medicare. Then we must take steps to preserve in perpetuity the system of social safety nets that enable the American dream for all: home ownership, good clean water, healthy food, a quality education, and a job that allows citizens to volunteer their time in service to the their fellow man.
- Hunters don’t care about nature. But pasty, fey activists who’ve never been outside Seattle do.
- Religious leaders who comment on politics lose all credibility… hen the Reverend’s name is Robertson, or Falwell. But not when it’s Jackson, Sharpton or King.
- Black people need taxpayer-subsidised, exclusive clubs, schools, and events. But white people must never be permitted to have anything exclusive, for that is where they will begin plotting to re-enslave the black man.
- Michael King (a.k.a. Martin Luther King, Jr.) was a hero and a saint that even a conservative can love (unless they’re racist).
- Self-esteem is more important than actually doing something to earn it.
- There was no art before taxpayers were forced to fund it.
- You support welfare, free (taxpayer funded) healthcare, and other entitlements for people who do not pay taxes.
- Politicians don’t start wars, the military does.
- The free market that brought us 500+ channels simply cannot deliver the quality that PBS does.
- And “We need PBS.”
- The JPFO and GOA are baaad, because they stand up for certain parts of the united States Constitution. But the ACLU is gooood, because they stand up for other parts of the Constitution.
- It’s the US Constitution (not God almighty) that grants those gun nuts the “right” to keep and bear arms. Changing the Constitution will eliminate that right.*see (Note 1) below
- Taxes are too low… but ATM fees are too high.
- Harriet Tubman, Caesar Chavez and Margaret Sanger are more important to American History than Thomas Jefferson, John C. Calhoun, or General Robert E. Lee.
- It is morally wrong to give low-income parents vouchers, so that they may send their children to high-quality private schools.
- Standardized tests are racist… But racial quotas and set-asides are not.
- Second-hand smoke is more dangerous than HIV.
- Tolerance is reserved for those who share your opinions, views and ideals.
- Hillary Clinton is a real lady… and Rosie O’Donnell is NOT really a man who is jealous of Tom Selleck.
- You only support judges who interpret what they want the Constitution to mean, instead of what it actually says.
- Conservatives are racists… But, black people could not make it in this world without your help.
- The ONLY reason socialism has not worked anywhere it’s been tried is because the right people haven’t been in charge yet.
- Racism and poverty are the primary causes of violent crime in the inner city… NOT the lack of morals and values that should be taught by a loving father.
Liberals against humanity
As the aforementioned Dr. Rossiter’s book points out:
Modern liberalism’s irrationality can only be understood as the product of psychopathology. So extravagant are the patterns of thinking, emoting, behaving and relating that characterise the liberal mind, that its relentless protests and demands become understandable only as disorders of the psyche.
The Liberal Mind reveals the madness of the modern liberal for what it is: a massive transference of neurosis, acted out in the world’s political arenas, with devastating effects on the institutions of liberty.Lyle H. Rossiter, Jr. M.D.
(Note 1) For those with the ability to read, and reason for yourself… There is no such thing as “your second amendment right to keep and bear arms.” The Bill of Rights did not grant you the right to own a gun, it merely forbade the creature of the federal compact (aka the federal government) from ‘infringing’ in any way upon your pre-existing, “Natural Right” to self defense. That natural right to self defense was conferred upon you by Almighty God himself when he created man in his own image.
Therefore… No political entity, judicial bench, military tribunal, occupying force, or masked-man (badge or no badge) can strip you of your right to own or carry the wherewithal to defend yourself, your family, or your property…with any device or machine you choose…regardless of form, function, or performance metric.
Please, take the time to read “Why Did It Have to be …Guns?” by L. Neil Smith to finally realize why the issue of self defense is the single, most reliable litmus-test of what sort of man (or woman) ANY politician really is down deep. His attitude about your ownership of whatever weapons you choose, conveys his attitude about YOU. If he doesn’t trust you with the means to defend yourself against the naked aggression of government… why would you trust him? (hint: there is no middle ground).